We craft practical, effective, and creative solutions to complex tax issues.
Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP tax lawyers offer a comprehensive set of services integrating tax planning, transactional assistance, and tax controversy resolution. In providing creative guidance and tax advice to for-profit and nonprofit businesses and individuals at federal, state, and local levels, we strive to meet business and financial goals while maximizing tax advantages and minimizing tax liabilities.
From advising on tax-efficient structures for establishing, acquiring, or selling a business to dealing with organizational, operational, and financing issues, we focus on solving tax problems rather than creating them. Our clients depend on us not only to keep abreast of constantly changing international, federal, state, municipal, and local tax laws and regulations, but also to interpret them with accuracy and insight.
Working closely with clients’ accountants, financial planners, and business advisors, we draw on years of experience representing companies of all sizes, nonprofits of every type, and individuals and families with complex tax needs to suggest effective new ways of limiting tax exposure.
Our team is experienced with a broad range of complex tax issues in an array of industries. We regularly structure sophisticated acquisition and financing transactions for U.S. and international companies; organize business activities for U.S. and non-U.S. enterprises to achieve optimal international, federal, state, and local tax outcomes; resolve audits and disputes with tax authorities; and comply with filing and reporting requirements in the U.S. and abroad. In addressing our clients’ tax issues with customized advice and recommendations, we take a practical approach that accurately reflects current business—and legal—realities.
Since Shumaker Taxation group lawyers also represent a diverse group of nonprofit organizations, including large health care systems, we regularly provide guidance on tax-exempt issues. While our primary emphasis is on maintaining our nonprofit clients’ tax-exempt status, clients value our counsel that integrates tax planning, transactional assistance, employment law, employee benefits advice, and general business guidance.
Tax disputes are troubling matters with potentially dire financial consequences. We work to protect client interests in tax audits and appeals at federal, state, and local levels by helping them resolve every type of tax controversy. Our firm but pragmatic approach often leads to appropriate settlements for our clients, though when a settlement is impossible, we are vigorous courtroom advocates. And while litigation skills are central to our practice, clients have found that with careful tax planning they seldom have to call on them.
- Publicly owned corporations
- Private and family-owned companies
- Private equity funds
- Real estate ventures
- Professional associations
- Financial institutions
- Nonprofit organizations
- High-net-worth individuals and families
- Advice on business, nonprofit organization, and individual tax planning
- Assistance with choice of entity decisions
- Assistance in structuring and planning taxable and non-taxable business reorganizations, acquisitions, and dispositions
- Advice on integrated tax and estate planning for business owners and high-net-worth individuals
- Representation before the IRS in civil audit and appellate conference proceedings
- Taxpayer advocacy in the U.S. Tax Court and the U.S. district and appellate courts
- Resolution of controversies over assessment of sales and use taxes, employment taxes, property taxes, commercial activity, gross receipts, and all types of other state and local taxes
- Customized support in pursuing tax reductions before local government boards of revision and boards of tax appeals