With more than 30 years of legal experience and 20 years of combined government and political experience, Rick brings to Shumaker Advisors experience at both the state and local levels. Having deep roots in government and the community, Rick served as the 53rd mayor of St. Petersburg, Florida from 2014 to 2022. Under his leadership, St. Pete was ranked as Florida’s best-managed and fiscally strongest city and received numerous accolades, including being named one of the top places to visit in the world by the New York Times and one of the 20 best places to live by Southern Living.
In his first term, Rick delivered on his promise to build a new pier and police station, establish community-oriented policing, implement curbside recycling, and elevate St. Pete’s profile in the world. His work to prepare St. Pete for a changing climate, transition the city to 100 percent clean energy, and expand and preserve green space continued into his second term. In 2019, the global network ‘Apolitical’ named Rick one of the world’s 100 most influential climate policy leaders. He was subsequently asked to lead the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ Committee on the Environment.
A proponent of alternative transportation, Rick lead the effort to launch the Cross Bay Ferry and worked with the St. Petersburg City Council to adopt a Complete Streets policy, implement the city’s bike share and e-scooter program, and introduce Bus Rapid Transit to the Sunshine City – the first of its kind in Tampa Bay.
As mayor, Rick’s top priority – to provide more opportunity for residents through training, employment, higher wages, grants, and second chances – helped to reduce St. Pete’s African-American poverty rate to an all-time low. And, inspired by former President Barack Obama’s ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ initiative, Rick launched ‘My Brother’s and Sister’s Keeper’ (MBSK) to address persistent opportunity gaps faced by young men and women of color and to ensure that all young people can reach their full potential. Programs under the MBSK umbrella, such as the Cohort of Champions and the anti-gun violence ‘Not My Son’ campaign, made St. Pete a better and safer place.
In addition, while ensuring the continued success for the city’s largest employers, Rick was also a champion for small business owners, entrepreneurs, artists, and St. Pete’s main streets. As a result of Rick’s efforts, The United States Conference of Mayors recognized Rick with its Partner America 2018 Small Business Advocate award.
St. Pete’s economy thrived throughout Rick’s time in office, and successfully endured the impacts of COVID-19.
Prior to becoming mayor, Rick served for six years in the Florida House of Representatives, serving as his caucus’s policy chairman from 2011to 2012. From 2000 to 2006, he represented District One on the St. Petersburg City Council and served as the council chairman in 2005.
When Rick isn’t advocating for his community, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two children.
- 02.22.2023 How can St. Petersburg maintain its momentum?, St. Pete Catalyst
- 02.08.2023 THRIVE Conference on World Affairs returns to St. Petersburg, St. Pete Catalyst
- 02.01.2023 Tampa firefighters endorse Janet Cruz for City Council, The Tampa Bay 100
- 05.03.2022 Former St. Pete mayor receives lifetime achievement award, Tampa Bay Business and Wealth
- 02.02.2022 "St. Pete Mayor Joins Shumaker As Atty And Advisor," Law360 Pulse
- 01.31.2022 "Former St. Petersburg Mayor Kriseman Joins Shumaker Advisors, law firm," Florida Trend
- 01.31.2022 "Former St. Pete Mayor Rick Krisreman joins lobbying firm Shumaker Advisors," 10 Tampa Bay
- 01.31.2022 "Kriseman explains his decision to join Shumaker Advisors," St Pete Catalyst
- 01.31.2022 "Law firm hires former St. Pete, Tampa mayors," Business Observer
- 01.31.2022 "Shumaker Advisors picks up Rick Kriseman," The Tampa Bay 100
- 01.31.2022 " What's next for Rick Kriseman? The former St. Pete Mayor is joining Shumaker Advisors," Florida Politics
- 01.31.2022 "Former St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman joins Shumaker Advisors," Tampa Bay Business Journal
- 01.31.2022 "Former St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman joins lobbying firm," Tampa Bay Times
- 01.31.2022 "Opening day in trial over Florida's voting law," POLITICO