Michelle has over 30 years of nonprofit experience as an executive and founder of Catalyst Consulting Services, whose mission is to facilitate positive change in the areas of executive searches, organizational management, and fundraising. Michelle has been responsible for increasing the impact and best practices of nonprofit organizations she serves and has raised over $87 million for the Tampa Bay community through her professional and personal philanthropic efforts.
In addition to facilitating change nationally and in the Tampa Bay area, Michelle’s community service has included leadership roles on the boards of the Donate Life America, Hillsborough County Arts Council and Cultural Assets Commission, Association of Fundraising Professionals, Charitable Gift Planners of Tampa Bay, Donate Life America, YMCA, and the University of South Florida Foundation.
Michelle is author of the best-selling book, Jumping the Queue – Achieving Great Things Before You Are Ready, which focuses on how young professionals can seize personal and professional opportunities, achieve great things, and get what they want and deserve. Her articles have been featured in American Express: Open Forum, Arizona Business Magazine, Inc.com, Inc. Asian, New York Daily News, Investor’s Business Daily, Nerdy Girls Express, Young Upstarts, and Rural Messenger as an expert and author for her focus on change management in the workforce.
Michelle is also an expert nonprofit educational trainer for the Edyth Bush Institute for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Leadership at Rollins College and is a Certified Fund Raising Executive. Her expertise in professional education is in the areas of change management, capital campaigns, volunteer management, board governance, and fund development. She has been recognized by Tampa Bay Metro Magazine as one of Tampa Bay’s Distinguished Women in Business and the Face of Nonprofit Change and recognized by the Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce as an Outstanding Business Leader of the Year. Michelle was also nominated by her peers as Tampa Bay Business Journal’s Business Woman of the Year in 2007, 2016, and 2017.
A third-generation Floridian from Bradenton, Florida, Michelle has resided in South Tampa since 1986. She is married to her husband Eric, and they are parents to two sons. She is an active member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
- The Five Characteristics of Effective CEO Search Committees, Article, February 18, 2023
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Acquire Executive Talent, December 23, 2022
- Building An Effective Onboarding Program for Your Nonprofit, August 1, 2022
- Why a Successful Capital Campaign Should Start with a Feasibility Study, February 11, 2022
- Personality Assessments and Their Role in the Search Process, November 9, 2021
- Transitioning a Long-Term and Founding CEO, August 18, 2021
- Nonprofit C-Suite Hiring 2021 & Beyond, May 4, 2021
- Improve Your Mission Performance through an Organizational Assessment, January 26, 2021
- Preparing Your Organization for Executive Transition . . . Are You Ready?, May 4, 2020
- Better Together – Time For Nonprofits To Develop A Merger Mindset? – EXPLORING THE POWER OF POSSIBILITY, November 16, 2019
- How to Expand Your Professional Network through Volunteerism, January 30,2019, Tampa Bay Business & Wealth
- 4 Tips for Achieving Success Without Waiting Your Turn, Young Upstarts, March 1, 2018; Business Management Daily, April 27, 2018; NY News Daily, February 18, 2018; Rural Messenger January 18, 2018; Hampton Roads Business Journal; The Rural Messenger; Arizona Business Magazine
- How can you create an exit strategy from a toxic workplace?, June 27, 2018
- Women Are More Likely to Quit If You Don’t Make These 4 Important Changes, March 9, 2018
- How to ensure a positive employee experience for both men and women, February 2, 2018
- Are You Ready for a Capital Campaign?, January 12, 2016
Events and Presentations:
- How to Create a Sustainable Fund Development Plan, Florida Association of Museums, April 18, 2019
- Successful Capital Campaigns, Rollins College - Edyth Bush Center for Philanthropic Giving, June 11 and 12, 2019
- Setting the Stage for A Successful Volunteer Program, Rollins College - Edyth Bush Center for Philanthropic Giving, August 14 and 15, 2019
- How to Launch a Successful Capital Campaign, 2019 Florida Association of Museums Conference, September 15, 16, and 17, 2019
- Engaging Your Supporters through Peer-to-Peer Fundraising, Donate Life America Annual Conference - Keynote Speaker, October 23, 2019
- Essentials of Strategic Planning, Clay County Community Foundation, November 2, 2019
- Leading Change within the Organization, Nonprofit Alliance of Tampa Bay, February 5, 2020
- How to Successfully Onboard and Offboard Your Board Members, FSU Jim Moran Institute, April 8, 2021
- Toxic Workplace Solutions, Ohio Bar Association Annual meeting, April 30, 2021
- Executive Succession Planning, AFP ICON Conference, June 19, 2021
Media Mentions and Podcasts:
- How to Choose the Right Nonprofit Community, Podcast, The Law of Relevancy, September 2022
- Fundraising & Friend-raising, Podcast, Nonprofit SnapCast, 2021
- Community Voices: Working Women Stories with Michelle Turman, St. Pete Catalyst, August 5, 2019
- Positive Changes Needed to Keep Your Business Growing Podcast, On the Brink with Andrea Simon, February 19, 2019
- Achieving Your Great Success Now Podcast, On the Brink with Andrea Simon, April 9, 2018
- Jumping the Queue Podcast, with Roxanne Wilder, July 2018
- National Mentoring Day, Thank God for Monday, October 27, 2018
- Succession Planning: Staff & Board Roles (with Ron Christaldi), The Philanthropy Show, August 31, 2015