A respected litigator, Joe focuses his practice on insurance recovery; commercial litigation; and litigation, information, and claims management. He represents and advises clients in a variety of matters, including contract disputes, disputes between business partners, business torts, confidentiality agreements, and employment matters. As a former judicial clerk for the Honorable Magistrate Judge Mark J. Dinsmore of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Joe is particularly attuned to jurisdictional issues and has successfully challenged an Ohio court’s personal jurisdiction over a foreign subsidiary of an Ohio-based parent company.
As part of his insurance recovery work, Joe represents and assists policyholders with claims submissions, negotiations with insurers, and litigation of coverage disputes. In addition, he has experience with environmental claims, property and business interruption claims, cyber claims, and general liability claims. Recently, Joe represented a client with a self-funded health plan in a dispute with its carrier over stop-loss coverage.
Joe also has significant experience analyzing indemnification agreements to determine his client’s rights and obligations and the interplay of such agreements on insurance coverage. Joe also frequently analyzes complex corporate histories and relationships to address insurance coverage issues and issues surrounding the transfer of insurance rights in the sale of a business.
As part of his claims management work, Joe assists policyholders with the implementation of complex coverage-in-place agreements and coordinates claims management services, from initial filing to claim resolution for policyholders experiencing a high volume of claims or litigation.
For nearly a decade, Joe was part of a national product liability discovery team that coordinated discovery for a major manufacturer, giving him a unique understanding of the discovery process. This experience allows Joe to partner with his clients to develop a defensible and cost-effective discovery plan.
In his free time, Joe likes spending time with his family, walking and biking the area parks, and spending time outdoors.
- 08.17.2023 Joseph K. Cole Re-Appointed to the OSBA Council on Diversity Initiatives, Paving the Way for an Inclusive Legal Community, Legal Reader
- 08.11.2023 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick opens an Akron office, Akron Legal News
- 07.26.2023 Ohio State Bar Foundation welcomes 4 northwest Ohioans into latest class of fellows, The Toledo Blade
- 07.10.2023 Joseph K. Cole Inducted as Fellow of Ohio State Bar Foundation, Legal Reader
- 06.06.2023 Shumaker Law Firm Expands its Ohio Presence with Acquisition of Insurance Recovery Group, Legal Reader
- 05.23.2023 Shumaker expands its Ohio presence with acquisition of insurance recovery group, Tampa Bay Business & Wealth
- 05.22.2023 Shumaker Law Firm Expands its Ohio Presence with Acquisition of Insurance Recovery Group, SRQ Magazine
- 05.16.2023 Columbus law firm Shumaker opening Akron office with newly added insurance recovery team, Columbus Business First
- 05.16.2023 Shumaker Adds Insurance Recovery Group in Ohio, Law360