We efficiently structure, negotiate, and close deals for real estate clients, as well as clients whose operations involve leasing or owning real estate.
Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP’s Real Estate and Development Service Line represents commercial property owners, users and developers, landlords and tenants, corporations, and commercial lenders. We offer comprehensive guidance across the full spectrum of real estate transactions—from land acquisition, due diligence, and land use approvals to financing, construction, leasing, and sale of a project.
As a full-service group, we are able to assist clients with even the most complex transactions, including the negotiation and documentation of multi-state projects and large mixed-use developments. Our practice offers a unique combination of comprehensive transactional assistance for the most sophisticated property owners, users, or developers, as well as those clients that may own or lease just one property. As general real estate counsel, we provide wide-ranging transactional guidance to developers, users, lenders, borrowers, sellers, and purchasers in connection with the acquisition, financing, development, and disposition of commercial properties. Our vast experience in real estate financing encompasses everything from asset-based financing to permanent loans and is backed by our preparation and negotiation of all contracts and agreements.
Entrepreneurial players on all sides of the transaction rely on the creativity and efficiency that we bring to the table. In every real estate matter, we seek to understand and resolve critical legal and tax issues while meeting the strategic business objectives of our clients. Shumaker offers the full resources of our firm to handle critical transactional concerns—such as tax, environmental, financing, and insurance concerns—without creating excess cost or complexity.
Beyond this broad scope, we regularly handle complex issues in areas such as real estate investment trusts (REITs), real estate investment funds, and public-private partnerships (PPPs), often working to resolve difficult land use or tax concerns. For REIT and real estate investment clients, our team of professionals acts as lead counsel in complex investment transactions involving mergers, acquisitions, sale-leasebacks, and public and private capital raisings. For important community projects, such as convention centers, sports facilities, and performing arts theaters, we work with clients to forge durable public-private partnerships that involve multiple financing entities.
- Large and small real estate owners, developers, users, landlords, tenants, property managers, lenders, contractors, and architects
- Fortune 500 companies seeking property acquisitions and dispositions
- Government and private sector participants in public-private partnerships
- REITs and other real estate investment firms focused on office, commercial, and senior living and other health care facilities
- Commercial banks and mortgage lenders
- We assist individuals in their residential purchases and investments from contract negotiation and review, preparation of closing documents, and review of surveys, to review of loan documents, discussion regarding titling property, and resolving title issues.
- In addition to handling the transaction from contract through closing, our real estate and estate planning lawyers collaborate to advise on thoughtful and strategic relocation to maximize tax benefits and asset protection for families.
- Advice on a range of land use issues, including zoning, annexation, eminent domain, permitting, impact fees, and property taxes
- Advice on financings—from traditional mortgage or lease arrangements to complex deal structures such as partnership syndications and equity participation arrangements, as well as asset-based, cash flow, mezzanine, and construction financing and permanent loans
- Assistance with property acquisitions and dispositions, including as tax-free exchanges
- Brokerage and property management
- Commercial landlord tenant disputes
- Commercial leasing
- Construction law and dispute resolution
- Counsel on leasing transactions or disputes from the perspective of owners, property managers, or tenants
- Loan workouts and foreclosures
- Negotiating and drafting owner/contractor and owner/architect agreements, from the conventional to unique design/build or integrated project delivery arrangements
- Property development, purchases, and sales
- Real estate finance
- Residential acquisition and investment
- Residential investment
- Residential purchase
- Resolution of real estate disputes, including loan workouts and foreclosures, construction litigation, and brokerage disputes
- Structuring real estate partnerships and investments
- Title insurance and closing
- Zoning and land use