We assist both private and public sector employers by offering practical and timely advice on all aspects of workplace relationships, developing employment-related agreements and policies, conducting training, and representing employers in litigation and other disputes.
We work closely with employers of all sizes throughout the United States to meet their long-term needs and goals; ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations; identify potential problems before they happen; minimize disputes with employees; and offer practical solutions to maximize employers’ strategic advantage should a dispute arise.
By working closely with senior executives, human resources professionals, and in-house counsel, we are able to facilitate better employee relations, positively impact day-to-day employment decisions, consistently and fairly administer employment policies, and put employers in a better position to defend against potential claims.
We develop and prepare various documents tailored to employers’ specific needs based on their industry, workforce size, and other factors. We listen closely to our clients and assist them in drafting documents to meet their business needs, such as employee handbooks, employment policies, employment and independent contractor agreements, severance agreements, non-competition agreements, non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements, and various other documents.
We conduct in-house training and employment audits for our clients to ensure legal compliance and proactively resolve employee concerns. We offer workplace trainings on a variety of topics, including sexual harassment; documentation; performance appraisals; hiring and interviewing; wage and hour compliance; employee separations; and compliance with federal, state, and local employment statutes and regulations.
While we strive to help clients avoid litigation, we recognize that any employer can face potential legal action by employees or regulators. We regularly defend employers against many types of employment claims in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies as well as in mediation and arbitration—including defense against allegations of age, gender, disability, race, religion, and national origin discrimination; sexual harassment and retaliation claims; wage and hour claims; and alleged violations of statutes such as the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Our experienced team also frequently litigates cases involving wrongful termination, breach of employment and independent contractor agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements, as well as complex trade secret cases and other employment-related tort claims.
- Employers of any size
- Nonunion and union employers
- Private and public sector employers
- Employers with special sector-specific needs, including those in manufacturing, financial services, health care, construction, and education
- Advice on all aspects of the employer-employee relationship as well as hiring, promotion, discipline, and termination procedures
- Developing and implementing clear and comprehensive employment handbooks and policies
- Representation in employment-related litigation and enforcement proceedings involving allegations of discrimination, retaliation, or harassment; wage and hour violations; and regulatory noncompliance with Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, OSHA, and similar state and federal statutes
- Traditional labor law matters, including handling union organizing campaigns and proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and compliance in unionized and nonunion workplaces
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements, administering labor contracts, and assisting in grievance resolution and arbitration proceedings
- Drafting and enforcing employment, non-competition, non-solicitation, confidentiality, trade secret, and executive severance agreements
- Obtaining nonimmigrant and immigrant visas for international workers to work in the U.S. and globally
- Management, counseling, and defense of workers’ compensation and unemployment compensation claims
- Customized workplace training programs for individual clients in particular industries
- Counsel on Title IX sex-based harassment and violence in public and private schools
- Counsel on workplace torts, including wrongful termination and workplace injuries
- Reviewing employment applications to ensure that they are asking appropriate questions
- Ensuring that promotion, discipline, and termination policies comply with applicable law
- Assisting with complex executive compensation, employee benefits issues, and issues that arise in connection with bankruptcies and workouts or structuring mergers and acquisitions